At TasTAFE, we place our students at the centre of everything we do.
We celebrate the achievements of our students, as their success shows us that we are doing our job well – delivering quality teaching and learning, and preparing our students for employment.
We are proud to share some of our highlights over the past year…
Tasmanian Training Awards
Meet some of our award winning students!
Apprentice of the Year
Sophie Russell (Certificate III in Carpentry)
Sophie Russell knew from childhood that she loved building things, and an apprenticeship gave her the pathway to turn her passion into a career. She’s now fully qualified and continues to be employed by VEC Civil Engineering who first put her on as an apprentice.
Sophie says the support she received from TasTAFE was amazing and she is now supporting and mentoring aspiring carpenters, guiding them through the challenges of studying and giving them tips on achieving work/life balance.
Equity Apprentice/Trainee of the Year
Michael Taylor (joint winner) (Certificate III in Heavy Vehicle Mechanical Technology)
Becoming a heavy vehicle mechanic had been an ambition for Michael Taylor since high school. Despite having severe visual impairment, Michael successfully completed his Certificate III in Heavy Vehicle Mechanical Technology in March. Michael credits the disability support team and teachers at TasTAFE and the support of his employer, FRM Materials Handling for helping him achieve his goal.
Equity Vocational Student of the Year
Claire Draayers (Cert II in General Education for Adults)
Claire didn’t finish Year 10 and many years later decided it was time to start focusing on herself and return to study. She decided to undertake a TasTAFE online general education course to complete her Year 10 equivalent.
Claire chose the course because she wanted to help people to overcome struggles as she had, and give back to the community. Claire says it was daunting returning to study, but TasTAFE offered the support she needed. She’s now undertaking a Certificate III in Community Services at TasTAFE.
Other Tasmanian Training award winners:
- Equity Apprentice/Trainee of the Year - Joint winner (with Michael Taylor mentioned above)
- Frances Daisy Walsh (Cert I in Hospitality) -Trainee
- Trainee of the Year - Ashling Cannell (Cert III in Education Support).
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Student of the Year - David Lowery (Cert IV in Forest Operations).
- Vocational Student of the Year - Gypsy Rose Blackberry (Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care).
WorldSkills Australia National Championships
- Cabinet Making – Carly Bird (Gold)
- Carpentry – Ben James (Gold)
- Retail Butchery – Doug Scott (Gold)
- Auto Electrical – Evan Cripps (Silver)
- Bricklaying – Jake Scott (Bronze)
- Hairdressing – McKenzi Maher (Medallion of Excellence).
Australian Institute of Technical Chefs, Best of the Best Future Chef Award
- Thanutya (Yaya) Waite (Certificate III in Commercial Cookery)
Nestle Golden Chef’s Hat, Golden Chef of the Year award
- Semra Peach - (Silver medal) (Certificate III in Commercial Cookery).
Master Builders Tasmania Awards for Excellence
- State Apprentice of the Year: Scott Vucetic
- Hands on Skills Apprentice of the Year: Bradley Young
Study Tasmanian International Education Awards
- International Education Staff Member of the Year Award - International Student Advisor team, TasTAFE (Angie Wu, James Field and Edgar Fergus Ho)
- International Graduate of the Year – Huynh Van Phuong Nguyen (Anny) – TasTAFE Cookery graduate.
- International Student of the Year for VET – Mandeep Jaiman – TasTAFE Engineering student.
(recognising international students’ commitment to study and contribution to the community)
- Winner: Hei Yin LO (Heibrance) - (Certificate IV in Web-Based Technologies)
- Runners up: Panpan LIU, and Juan HAN, (Diploma of Nursing).
Baking Association of Australia Tasmanian Competitions
- Apprentice Pastry Cook: Zoe Campbell
- Apprentice Baker: Bryce Digby
Wide Angle Tasmania 48 Hours Challenge (film)
- Best Film Under 25’s - Cerulean by The Participators (TasTAFE Cert IV Screen and Media Students)
- Best Directing - Cerulean by The Participators (TasTAFE Cert IV Screen and Media Students)
Tasmanian Community Achievement Awards
- Students Against Racism – Community Group of the Year