At TasTAFE we are committed to providing a learning environment that is safe, enjoyable and inclusive for everyone.
If you have a disability and require assistance or assistive technology to support your training or participation in an Information Session, please contact us as early as possible so that we can work with you to get your support needs underway.
TasTAFE recognises the breadth of impairments and medical conditions covered by the Disability Discrimination Act 1992, including:
- physical – affecting a person's mobility or dexterity
- intellectual – affecting a person's ability to learn
- mental illness – affecting a person's thinking processes
- sensory – affecting a person's hearing or vision
- neurological –e.g. Autism Spectrum, Acquired Brain Injury
- learning disability
- medical condition – e.g. Epilepsy, Multiple Sclerosis.
The types of support our Disability Liaison Officers can assist you with may include:
- course application and enrolment
- orientation to campus and class
- permits to access on-campus parking spaces
- loan of assistive equipment such as ergonomic seating, FM systems if students are hearing impaired, and computer accessories such as trackballs
- assistive software such as text-to-speech and speech-to-text programs, screen magnification or screen readers for vision impairment and blindness
- review on reasonable adjustment of classes, notes, etc., and Learning Access Plans
- learning support, including in-class note-takers, or participation assistants who support skills being learnt in class or one-on-one tutorials outside of class to assist with understanding course information
- tutorial assistance for eligible apprentices/ trainees
- Auslan Interpreters
- alternative formatting
- referral to external service providers, where required
The following supports are available to be arranged by your teacher if you inform them of your condition:
- Medical Action Plans – for students at risk of seizures, anaphylactic shock, diabetes and other life-threatening conditions; and
- Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEP) – for assistance leaving our buildings in the event of a threat of harm to people.
This support is also available if you are undertaking training at TasTAFE as an apprentice or trainee with disability.
Online student support during the coronavirus period
Your safety and wellbeing is our top priority. To ensure you have the support you need while you are studying at home, we have moved all our student support appointments online.
Make an appointment with one of our Student Support staff members by calling 1300 655 307 or use our booking system to book an appointment online. Find out more about online appointments, including what you need to do to set up and get ready for an online appointment.
If you require immediate crisis support, please contact the 24/7 external support services available for Tasmanians.
We value your feedback!
If you have used our support service recently, it would be great if you could spare a couple of minutes to complete our feedback survey. We will use your suggestions to adapt and improve our services.