At TasTAFE we are committed to providing a learning environment that is safe, enjoyable and inclusive for everyone.
If you have a disability and require assistance or assistive technology to support your training or participation in an Information Session, please contact us as early as possible so that we can work with you to get your support needs underway.
TasTAFE recognises the breadth of impairments and medical conditions covered by the Disability Discrimination Act 1992, including:
- physical – affecting a person's mobility or dexterity
- intellectual – affecting a person's ability to learn
- mental illness – affecting a person's thinking processes
- sensory – affecting a person's hearing or vision
- neurological –e.g. Autism Spectrum, Acquired Brain Injury
- learning disability
- medical condition – e.g. Epilepsy, Multiple Sclerosis.
Our Disability Liaison Officers will work with you to provide individual assistance and advice on a wide range of topics that may include:
- assistance with your course application and enrolment
- specialist equipment and assistive technology, (e.g. ergonomic chairs and computer accessories, Text to Speech programs, JAWS for the blind)
- alternative formatting
- liaison with teachers/coordinators
- access to designated parking spaces
- alternative methods of assessment and examination support
- flexible attendance and mode of delivery, including distance/online
- note takers
- tutorial assistance
- interpreters for deaf or hearing impaired students
- referral to other agencies
- library and reference material assistance.
This support is also available if you are undertaking training at TasTAFE as an apprentice or trainee with disability.
Online student support during the coronavirus period
Your safety and wellbeing is our top priority. To ensure you have the support you need while you are studying at home, we have moved all our student support appointments online.
Make an appointment with one of our Student Support staff members by calling 1300 655 307 or use our booking system to book an appointment online. Find out more about online appointments, including what you need to do to set up and get ready for an online appointment.
If you require immediate crisis support, please contact the 24/7 external support services available for Tasmanians.