Tasmania is a safe and friendly place to study, and provides you with the opportunity to gain a contemporary education in an exceptional location.
TasTAFE is the largest registered provider of vocational education and training in the state, and is owned and operated by the Tasmanian Government. With industry standard facilities, experienced teachers, and a commitment to ensuring you gain the skills you need for the job you want – there’s no better place to complete your training!
We understand that leaving home to study in another country can be as overwhelming as it is exciting – which is why we ensure every international student has access to the support and advice of an International Student Advisor.
Our International Student Advisors are here to assist you on your education and training journey at TasTAFE, and will do their best to make your stay in Tasmania as productive and enjoyable as possible.
They will contact you before you arrive in Tasmania with information about orientation and the start dates of your course, and can also help you with:
- accommodation and transport options
- orientation to Hobart or Launceston and TasTAFE
- enrolment in your course
- study pathway advice
- advice about money, visas, legal and health issues
- counselling support and advocacy
- making connections with other international students through our social groups
- any issues affecting your course attendance and/or academic progress
- accessing other support services available within and outside of TasTAFE.
While studying at TasTAFE it is important that you keep in regular contact with the International Student Advisors in your region.
To make an appointment, please call 1300 655 307 (within Australia only) or +61 3 6165 5470 (international) and ask to speak with the International Student Advisor in your region. Alternatively, you can email ISA@tastafe.tas.edu.au.
If you are experiencing difficulties with your studies, or if other life issues are having an impact on your training at TasTAFE, you can also make an appointment to speak with a Student Counsellor. This service is free and confidential. Find out more from our Counselling page.
English Language Support
Our dedicated English Language & Learning Support Teachers (ELLSTs) in Hobart and Launceston provide ongoing English language and study skills support throughout your time at TasTAFE. They are available to all international students for flexible one-on-one appointments or small group tutorials on all aspects of English language proficiency, cultural competence and study skills success.
Your ELLSTs can help you with these and more:
- Editing and proof-reading written assignments
- Paraphrasing and referencing
- Good academic writing style
- Clear concise written communication
- English grammar and vocabulary
- Understanding assignment questions
- Workplace oral communication skills
- Social English
- Reading and comprehending academic texts
- Writing resumes, cover letters and addressing selection criteria
- Preparing for English language tests
- Time management
We value your feedback!
If you have used our support service recently, it would be great if you could spare a couple of minutes to complete our feedback survey. We will use your suggestions to adapt and improve our services.
If you are an international student who is looking to study in Tasmania and have questions about studying in Tasmania, or if you’d like to apply to study at TasTAFE, you will need to contact the Government Education and Training International (GETI) unit, which is the representative of TasTAFE’s international programs.
To find out more about what courses are on offer this year, view our international course list (you will be redirected to the GETI website).