TasTAFE is committed to supporting students who are carers, succeed at their learning goals. A carer is a person who provides unpaid care and support to family members or friends who have a disability, mental illness, chronic or life-limiting condition, alcohol or drug dependence, or who are frail and aged. In recognition that the Carer role may affect participation in class and study, TasTAFE provides targeted supports to eligible students with caring responsibilities.
Support available to carers at TasTAFE
The support available to carers at TasTAFE include:
- flexible training and reasonable adjustment
- specialist support services such as Student Counsellors and Disability Liaison Officers and
- working with relevant external agencies to assist you to address challenges impacting on your studies and training
To access support at TasTAFE
- Discuss your support needs directly with your teacher
- Complete the online Carer Assistance Notification form. A Student Counsellor will get in touch with you to arrange a time to discuss your support needs.
Support outside of TasTAFE
There are a range of services providing support to carers throughout Tasmania. Care2Serve assists carers to access these services and supports which are delivered in person, by telephone and online including support planning, counselling, respite, targeted financial support through carer directed support packages, peer support groups, coaching and information and advice.
Carers Tasmania Freecall™ 1800 242 636
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Freecall™ 1800 800 110
Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centres Freecall™1800052222
Tasmanian Government Concessions Call (charges apply) 03 6232 7050
Tasmanian Companion Card Freecall™1800 204 224