COVID-19 Staff and Student Updates
Last updated: Friday, 15 October 2021
This page provides information to TasTAFE students and staff about impacts to TasTAFE training and/or training facilities as a result of COVID-19. For general public information, please visit the Tasmanian Government Coronavirus website
*Events that may impact our students and staff over weekends will be added to this page on Sunday evenings.
Regional Lockdown Announced
The Tasmanian Government have announced a 3-day regional lockdown due to COVID-19 being detected in Tasmania. This lockdown will affect TasTAFE staff and students living or working in the lockdown region. Please read the below for details and instructions.
Southern Tasmania - visit COVID-19 Coronavirus Lockdown for details of Local Government Areas.
6.00pm AEDT Friday 15 October – 6.00pm AEDT Monday 18 October*
*This lockdown period is subject to change based on Public Health advice. Please keep informed by visiting the Tasmanian Government COVID-19 website for Important community updates.
TasTAFE sites impacted
The following campuses and training facilities will be closed for the lockdown period and there will be no access for students or staff:
- Clarence Campus
- Campbell Street Campus
- Drysdale Hobart Campus
- Bender Drive Training facility (Metals)
- Claremont training facility (Plumbing and Refrigeration)
- Hunter Street training facility (Creative Arts)
- Drysdale Butchery (Glenorchy)
- Drysdale Claremont College
What you need to do
If you normally attend a TasTAFE campus or training facility in the affected region, you are required to study remotely during the lockdown period.
- Follow the ‘Lockdown Learning Plan’ for your course, which will be emailed to you if the lockdown is extended beyond 3 days. This will help you keep on track with your study during the lockdown period.
- Follow the Tasmanian Government lockdown restrictions and keep yourself informed of the latest Public Health directions.
- Do not come back to the above TasTAFE campuses and training facilities until the lockdown period is lifted by the Tasmanian Government.
What happens next?
Please regularly visit this page for COVID-19 impacts to TasTAFE students, campuses and training facilities.
Visit the Tasmanian Government COVID-19 website for Important community updates.
Please continue to monitor your emails for further updates from us as the situation develops.
If you have any questions, you can complete our contact form or call us on 1300 655 307.
COVID-19 and coming to a TasTAFE Campus or Training Facility
The COVID-19 situation changes frequently. It is important for all TasTAFE staff, students, visitors and contractors to keep informed of current COVID-19 public exposure sites, both locally and interstate, and follow Public Health directions.
Have you recently returned from interstate?
If you have recently travelled outside of Tasmania, please check the Tasmanian Government Travel Alert page regularly. Tasmania’s border entry conditions change frequently with impacted areas and premises being updated on a continuing basis. If there is a risk that you may have been exposed to COVID-19, follow Public Health advice. You may be required to self-isolate or follow other directions, even if you are already in Tasmania. This includes returning Tasmanian residents.
Please ensure border conditions do not apply to you before you come to TasTAFE campus or training facility.
Exposure sites in Tasmania
At times, there are COVID-19 exposure sites in Tasmania. For current exposure sites visit the Tasmanian Government Case alerts – public exposure sites in Tasmania page.
If there is a risk that you may have been exposed to COVID-19, follow Public Health advice. You may be required to self-isolate or follow other directions. Please do not come to TasTAFE campus or training facility until you have been cleared by Public Health.
Current potential impacts to TasTAFE staff and students
Restricted parking at Alanvale campus
The carpark at Alanvale Campus is currently being utilised as a COVID-19 mobile testing clinic.
The Southern carpark near the cafeteria (marked in red) will be closed from 6 October until Monday 18 October 2021. This may impact staff and students requiring parking.
Alternative parking for staff and students (including accessibility parking) is available at the Northern end of the campus.
If you have any cold or flu-like symptoms, even mild, please get tested for COVID-19. To book a COVID-19 test, call the Public Health Hotline on 1800 671 738 or, go to Testing for COVID-19 and select ‘register online’.
COVID-19 Safety at TasTAFE
TasTAFE follows the advice of Public Health Tasmania and the State Government to manage the impacts of COVID-19. As required by WorkSafe Tasmania, we have COVID-Safety Plan in place to ensure the health and wellbeing of all students and staff at TasTAFE campuses and training facilities.
Everyone who attends a TasTAFE facility MUST comply with the following COVID-19 instructions:
- Check in to each TasTAFE site you visit once per day using the Check in TAS App. If you do not have a smart phone, enter your details manually at an Entry Terminal. Entry Terminals can be found at the main entrances to all of our sites.
- Maintain a physical distance of at least 1.5 metres from others.
- Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly (especially after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose) or use hand sanitiser.
- Use a tissue (or flexed elbow if a tissue is not available) to cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze, dispose of the tissue in the rubbish.
- Leave all furniture where it is.
Do not attend a TasTAFE facility:
- if you feel unwell, even if symptoms are only mild
- if you have a runny, itchy or blocked nose, sneezing, itchy, sore and watery eyes, a cough or a sore throat
- if you have been instructed to self-isolate or quarantine and your isolation period has not yet finished
- if you have tested positive to COVID-19.