Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) – student and staff updates
All TasTAFE staff and students are asked to refer to this page for any impacts to TasTAFE training facilities as a result of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Current impacts to TasTAFE training facilities
4.20pm: Friday, 3 April 2020 - TasTAFE campuses and training facilities are open for scheduled small groups only.
- Easter break - all TasTAFE campuses and training facilities will be closed from Friday, 9 April until Sunday, 19 April 2020.
- All courses recommence after Easter on Monday, 27 April 2020 in the online environment. Do not come into campus unless you have been scheduled into a small group session..
Campus and training facility update
Closed - except for timetabled students
- Drysdale North - Paterson Street, Launceston
- Providore Place - Devonport
- Plumbing and Refrigeration Training Facility - Claremont
- Metal Engineering Training Facility - Bender Drive, Hobart
- Drysdale Butchery Training Facility - Showgrounds, Hobart
- Freer Farm Training Facility - Burnie
- Health, Aged Care and Disability Training Facility - Launceston
Closed until further notice:
- Hunter Street Training Facility - Hobart (co-located with the University of Tasmania)
- Inveresk Training Facility - Launceston (co-located with the University of Tasmania)
At a glance
- Restricted entry - TasTAFE campuses and training facilities will only be open for the purpose of attending scheduled small groups and prac sessions, or using pre-booked resources. Students should attend scheduled sessions as instructed by their teachers and then leave the campus immediately.
- Deferred courses - some TasTAFE courses have been deferred temporarily to enable teaching staff to prepare course content for online delivery (see below for details of which courses are affected). All courses will recommence on Monday, 27 April 2020.
- Client Services offices across the state are now closed for on-campus services and face-to-face payments. Staff are available to provide support, assistance and take payments over the phone and via email - please call 1300 655 307 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- TasTAFE libraries are closed until further notice except to allow students to access pre-booked campus computers for study or online learning purposes.
- Common areas on campus - including student lounges and common rooms - are closed until further notice.
- All onsite cafes and cafeterias will cease operations by Friday, 3 April 2020 until further notice.
- TasTAFE student accommodation (student residences at Alanvale and Clarence campuses) are open only for those students with no alternative accommodation in Tasmania (e.g. International Students).
- Increased fee flexibility - a range of updates are being made to course payments to ensure students can continue to study throughout the coronavirus period. Measures include waiving the requirements for up-front deposits and extending payment terms, as well as ceasing automatic withdrawals and debt collection activities. Payment plans are available to all students on request, including Diplomas (where VET Student Loans are not available).
- Drysdale restaurant operations, Hair and Beauty salon activities and other similar services have been suspended until further notice.
- PDF File 3 April - TasTAFE update on Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Students 71.9 KB
- MS Word Document 3 April - TasTAFE update on Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Students 106.6 KB
- PDF File 30 March - Drysdale Student Communication - Deferred Short Courses 96.1 KB
- PDF File 26 March - TasTAFE update on Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Stakeholder Fact Sheet 107.2 KB
- PDF File 26 March - TasTAFE update on Coronavirus (COVID–19) - Apprentices 134.7 KB
- MS Word Document 26 March - TasTAFE update on Coronavirus (COVID–19) - Apprentices 107.3 KB
- PDF File 26 March - TasTAFE update on Coronavirus (COVID–19) - Employers 136.4 KB
- MS Word Document 26 March - TasTAFE update on Coronavirus (COVID–19) - Employers 107.6 KB
- PDF File 30 March - Temporarily deferred courses 488.0 KB
- MS Word Document 30 March - Temporarily deferred courses 120.0 KB
A list of useful resources are available from the Tasmanian Government's coronavirus website.