TASTE OF TASTAFE
28 August – 1 September 2017
The Taste of TasTAFE provided the opportunity for year 10, 11 and 12 students to:
- Explore an industry area of interest
- Experience what it is like to attend TasTAFE
- Talk with teachers, students and apprentices
- Undertake engaging activities
In 2016 over 500 students from the public, catholic and independent schools participated.
The inaugural event was scheduled to coincide with National Skills Week, and was a great way to get young people thinking about vocational education and training (VET) as a post-college option.
The aim of the Taste of TasTAFE is to: inspire young people to think about VET as a career option.
Year 10, 11 and 12 students will have the opportunity to register for a one-day placement at a TasTAFE campus in an area of interest.
When: Monday, 28 August to Friday, 1 September
Time: 10am – 2pm (4 hours)
There will be over 30 different sessions for students to choose from, such as automotive, cookery, guiding, construction, health and aged care, hospitality, primary industries, children’s services and many more!
HOW TO REGISTER
Students will be able to register online. It is recommended that a student does this in consultation with a school/college support person.
Students will be asked to select an area of interest and provide a brief explanation as to why they wish to find out more about their industry area of choice.
Note: It is intended that all students who register will be able to attend. It is recognised that some students may be more comfortable with a ‘buddy’ and every effort will be made to accommodate this.
REGISTRATIONS WILL GO LIVE Wednesday, 26 JULY.
WHAT DO STUDENTS NEED TO BRING?
All students attending a Taste of TasTAFE session will need to bring:
- their own morning tea and lunch
- pen and paper
- drink bottle
Some industry areas will also have further requirements
e.g. Nursing, Aged and Disability students will need to wear enclosed shoes and have hair tied back away from their face.
Any further requirements will be communicated once students are allocated a session.
TASTE OF TASTAFE LOCATIONS
The Taste of TasTAFE will be held across 13 locations.
Prior to the Taste of TasTAFE campus maps will be distributed, and staff will be on hand during the event to welcome and direct students to their sessions.
- Burnie: 41-43 Mooreville Road, Burnie
- Devonport (including Drysdale): 20-36 Valley Road, Devonport
- Alanvale: 54a Alanvale Road, Newnham
- Inveresk: Invermay Road, Invermay
- Drysdale: 93 Paterson Street, Launceston
- Health/Aged/Disability: Wellington Square, Cnr Wellington & Paterson Streets, Launceston
- Launceston City Campus: 10-16 Wellington Street, Launceston
- Campbell Street: 75 Campbell Street, Hobart
- Drysdale: 59 Collins Street, Hobart
- Clarence: 4a Bounty Street, Warrane
- Claremont: Link Road, Claremont
- Bender Drive: 8 Bender Drive, Derwent Park
- Hunter Street: Hunter Street, Hobart
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org