Student Rights and Responsibilities
TasTAFE is committed to providing a learning environment that reflects workplace and community expectations and standards.
All members of the TasTAFE community, including those visiting TasTAFE sites, can expect an environment and interactions that are:
- SAFE AND HEALTHY
- Your behaviour must take account of the physical and emotional safety of others, be in line with Workplace Health and Safety standards and follow the specific requirements of the learning area in which you are operating.
- RESPECTFUL AND CONSIDERATE
- You must treat others with respect, not act in a way that is aggressive, violent or intimidating.
- FAIR AND EQUITABLE
- You must not harass, bully, intimidate or treat others unfairly. Your behaviour must allow others to freely participate in their chosen activities, and not disadvantage or discriminate against them.
- HONEST AND LEGAL
- You must act within the law at all times and comply with Workplace Health and Safety legislation.
TasTAFE students are informed of the Code of Conduct at the beginning of their course and are expected to comply with the Code by fulfilling their responsibilities.
Teachers and staff have an obligation to all students to ensure a healthy and equitable environment in which every student can undertake their chosen area of study.
As a student at TasTAFE you are entitled to:
- be provided with accurate and sufficient information to assist you to make informed decisions relating to your enrolment and learning experience
- be treated fairly and with respect
- learn in an environment free from discrimination and harassment
- pursue your educational goals in a supportive and stimulating environment
- have access to various services such as counselling and language support
- be informed of assessment procedures.
As a student at TasTAFE you have the responsibility to:
- behave in a manner which is safe, fair, respectful and lawful
- treat other people fairly and with respect
- be punctual and regular in attendance
- not smoke in buildings or areas designated as ‘non-smoking’
- drive safely on campus
- participate in scheduled assessment events and submit written assessment items on time
- provide authentic original assessment evidence and not engage in plagiarism or cheating in any assessment
- behave in a responsible manner – i.e. do not litter, harass or offend fellow students or staff, or damage property.
Code of Conduct
Our Code of Conduct is based around principles of safety, fairness, respect and legality. Certain student conduct is prohibited. For example:
- inappropriate use of mobile phones
- aggressive language or behaviour
- harassment and bullying
- not following directions related to training activity, Workplace Health and Safety or driving on campus
- theft or damage to property
- being under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- the holding of public meetings on premises without permission
- the conducting or advertising any business for private gain
- the possession of any animal other than a guide dog
- the hindering or obstructing of others.
For more information on the requirements of the TasTAFE Code of Conduct, please discuss this with your teacher.
Discrimination and Harassment
At TasTAFE, we support an environment free from discrimination, harassment and bullying for both students and staff.
Discrimination and harassment may arise through a number of circumstances, and may relate to gender, age, race, religion, sexual preference or disability.
Educational Managers or Student Counsellors are available to provide confidential support and information about options to deal with such situations. Alternatively you may wish to complete a Feedback, Complaints and Student Grievance Form.