Short Course Mental Health First Aid
The NONM0854A Mental Health First Aid course is a 2 day workshop that teaches mental health first aid strategies to organisations or members of the public.
Mental health first aid is the help provided to a person who is developing a mental health problem, or in a mental health-related crisis, until appropriate professional treatment is received or the crisis resolves.
NONM0854A Mental Health First Aid courses can provide members of the community with:
- Skills in how to recognise the signs and symptoms of mental health problems;
- Knowledge of the possible causes or risk factors for these mental health problems;
- Awareness of the evidenced based medical, psychological and alternative treatments available;
- Skills in how to give appropriate initial help and support someone experiencing a mental health problem;
- Skills in how to take appropriate action if a crisis situation arises involving suicidal behaviour, panic attack, stress reaction to trauma, overdose or threatening psychotic behaviour.
NONM0854A Mental Health First Aid for people with Intellectual Disability is relevant for family/carers, friends, support staff and allied health professionals, as it addresses the above with a specific focus on intellectual disability.
We also offer a Mental Health First Aid – Standard Refresher Course.
Location, dates and times
Please note: courses will run subject to reaching minimum class numbers.
Clarence Campus, Hobart
TO ENROL (FOR A FACE TO FACE CLASS) OVER THE PHONE USING A CREDIT CARD PHONE 1300 655 307 – SOUTH ONLY
Before commencing your enrolment over the phone:
- Please read the Privacy Notice and Student Declaration.
You will be asked to agree and consent before continuing with your enrolment.
- USI – You will be asked to provide your Unique Student Identifier at the time of enrolment.
For more information on how to create a USI go to https://www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/future/usi/
When attending a campus you must bring your proof of ID with you. Payment confirms your place in a class.
Clarence Campus – 9am to 4.30pm
- 16 & 17 April 2019
- 25 & 26 June 2019
- 14 & 15 August 2019
- 2 & 3 October 2019
- 4 & 5 December 2019
Wellington Square, Launceston
Minimum of 5 people required
Day Classes – 9.30am to 4pm
- 6 & 13 June, 2019
Evening Classes – 5.30pm to 9pm
- 14, 21, 28 March and 4 April, 2019
Minimum of 10 people required
Devonport Campus – 9.15am to 4.15pm
- Wednesday, 27 March & 3 April 2019
- Wednesday, 8 & 15 May 2019
- Wednesday, 12 & 19 June 2019
Burnie Campus – 9.15am to 4.15pm
- Tuesday, 9 & 16 April 2019
- Tuesday, 14 & 21 May 2019
- Tuesday, 11 & 18 June 2019
This course is delivered on campus.
Recognition of Prior Learning
It makes sense that you should be recognised for the things you already know how to do. TasTAFE can assess your skills and knowledge based on your previous education, work history or life experience. This may help you gain your qualification a whole lot faster.
For further details please refer to www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/future/recognition/
Fees and Payments
2019: $210 (programs can be negotiated for single employer groups)
Students must be 18 years or older.
Contact us today to find out if this is the right course for you.
TasTAFE’s enrolment and orientation process provides information about our resources, services and support. Further details relating to Student Support Services are available here https://www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/current/student-support/
A Statement of Attendance.
Participants will receive a Mental Health First Aid manual and certificate on successful completion of the two (2) day course.
Attendees who successfully complete the online assessment will also receive a three year accreditation certificate as a Mental Health First Aider through Mental Health First Aid Australia.
The MHFA course is also accredited for 12 CPD points for allied health professions.