NONM0865A Gap training for electrical competency assessment
This is a non-accredited training product which is designed to prepare a student for the Electrical Competency Assessment.
The training is mostly via an eLearning platform with some attendance at a TasTAFE Electrotechnology facility when required.
This product is for candidates who have completed an OTSR or equivalent and any other candidates recommended to TasTAFE by the Electrical Licencing authorities in Tasmania.
The subject matter is aimed at familiarising overseas trained electrical technicians with local conditions and the Australian Wiring Rules.
Overseas trained Electrical Technicians may use this product as part of the process to achieve an Electrical Practitioners Licence
Dates and Times
- Candidates can enrol any time and have a nominal 12 months to complete
- The program will take approximately 192 hours of study or 12 weeks at 16 hours a week of online work.
- The eLearning work is self-paced and there is access during the program to TasTAFE teachers via email and phone for advice and assistance.
- Venue: The eLearning portion of the product can be completed wherever the candidate has an internet connection
The occasional attendance at TasTAFE can be at either of the three Electrotechnology sites:
- Alanvale Campus, Alanvale Road, Newnham
- Burnie Campus, Mooreville Road, Burnie
- Campbell Street Campus, 75 Campbell Street, Hobart
The candidate will be given access to online resources, tutorials and tests for five training modules. The candidate’s progress will be monitored and guided by TasTAFE teachers.
As part of the enrolment process the candidate will be given access to login details for an eLearning product and instructions on which parts of the product to undertake.
The study program is mostly online but there may be a need for the student to attend TasTAFE from time to time including an additional 12 hours for skills training on CPR and Switchboard Rescue.
As the candidate progresses through the eLearning material, embedded Topic Quizzes are made available. The Topic Quizzes are used as assessment tools.
Resources and Equipment
The student will need access to a web enabled device to undertake the eLearning component of study. A larger screened device such as a computer or tablet is recommended.
When attendance at TasTAFE is required, safety footwear and safety glasses are required.
Fees and Payments
Full Fee: $1423.00
- Candidates must have completed a recognised electrical trade level qualification in their country of origin and
- Candidates must have completed a recognised Skilled Migration Assessment, OTSR or equivalent prior to enrolment
Five training modules will be completed as part of the eLearning component of the product, which cover subject areas such as:
- Document and apply measures to control OHS risks associated with electrotechnology work
- Apply Occupational Health and Safety regulations, codes and practices in the workplace
- Arrange circuits, control and protection for general electrical installations
- Select wiring systems and cables for low voltage general electrical installations
- Trouble-shoot and repair faults in low voltage electrical apparatus and circuits
Attendance at TasTAFE facilities will be by arrangement with a TasTAFE Electrotechnology teacher for:
- CPR and Switchboard Rescue
- Practical exercises or demonstrations as necessary