CPPSEC3008A Control security risk situations using firearms
Firearms Safety Courses are conducted to determine the competency of applicants for firearms licences.
Only those people who have Tasmania Police written approval to enrol may attend a firearm safety course.
Applicants may only enrol in the category of firearms course for which police approval has been given.
To undertake this course you must be employed within the security industry.
Please view and retain the following information sheet:
Courses comprise of three days of training. One day is spent in the classroom completing theory. Two days are of practical firearms handling skills are on a police approved range. It is essential that you read the course materials and complete the pre-course workbook before attending the course. This may involve a further eight hours of your own time.
The H6 Security Licence course comprises the following:
- firearms safety
- community safety awareness.
- handling a revolver and semi-automatic pistol
- using a firearm
- range practice
- firearm retention
- duty concerns
- effects of a violent encounter
To enrol participants must follow the below steps:
- Ensure that the six month period during which you have police approval to enrol on a course has not expired (or will not expire before you can attend a course).
- Complete the TasTAFE Enrolments form and sign the attached white sheet on the bottom where “Student signature” is shown, and attach payment (cheque, money order or credit card).
- Create your USI (see information above).
- Complete the Course Reservation Form. This will ensure that you have sufficient time to study and complete the pre-course examination.
- Attach a copy of your letter from Tasmania Police approving your enrolment on a firearm safety course, then post, fax or email your enrolment forms to TasTAFE:
Public Safety Training
GPO Box 2015 Hobart 7001
- Within 14 days of receipt of your enrolment form, course fees and course reservation form, TasTAFE will book you into the next available course and you will be sent a package containing a course date confirmation, learning materials and a pre course examination.
- If you do not receive the package within 21 days of posting your enrolment form and course reservation form, telephone the course administrator on 6165 6482.
- Within 21 days of successfully completing the course you will be sent a Statement of Attainment, a copy of which is also automatically sent to Tasmania Police, who will then continue with the processing of your licence and arrange for you to attend Service Tasmania and have your photograph taken before a firearms licence can be issued
Please note that successful completion of the course does not mean that you are able to possess or use firearms. You must wait until you actually receive your firearms licence in the mail from Tasmania Police.
Location, dates and times
- Hobart courses are conducted on a nominated three day block during a working week.
- Classroom work and firing range work may be conducted at different locations.
- All range work will be conducted at a Police approved range.
Recognition of Prior Learning
It makes sense that you should be recognised for the things you already know how to do. TasTAFE can assess your skills and knowledge based on your previous education, work history or life experience. This may help you gain your qualification a whole lot faster.
For further details please refer to our Recognition of Prior Learning page.
Fees and Payments
Course Fees: $930 – but are subject to change at any time. A concession rate is not available for this course.
Applicants cannot be invoiced and fees must be paid at the time of enrolment.
For further fee and payment information visit our Fees and Payment page.
Contact us today to find out if this is the right course for you.
TasTAFE’s enrolment and orientation process provides information about our resources, services and support. Further details relating to Student Support Services are available at our Student Support Services page.