MSF40113 Certificate IV in Interior Decoration
MSF40113 Certificate IV in Interior Decoration is part of the Furnishing Training Package. It describes the skills and knowledge required to provide advice and practical assistance on the finishing and furnishing of existing interior spaces to meet client requirements. Decoration at this level includes residential or commercial environments and involves working directly with the client or with associated professionals, such as architects, builders, retailers, interior designers and suppliers required to implement a project.
This qualification is delivered methodically to build skills and knowledge progressively over a 10 month period. The course aims to provide students with employment skills or preparation for further study.
It is applicable for learners as well as those seeking to gain recognition for their existing skills.
In general Interior Decorators focus on residential work and are contracted by home owners, developers or residential architects to assist with creating a specific look or feel in the home.
Information from MSF40113 Certificate IV in Interior Decoration Training Package defines career opportunities as: –
- In general an Interior Decorator will provide advice and practical assistance on the finishing and furnishing of existing interior spaces to meet client requirements. Decoration at this level includes residential or commercial environments and involves working directly with the client or with associated professionals such as architects, builders, retailers, interior designers and suppliers required to implement a project.
- Other vocational outcomes can be realised in retail, consulting and building businesses as interior decorators or colour consultants who perform a broad range of skilled applications.
- Training pathways from this qualification include further tertiary study in an Interior Design Degree.
Dates and Times
Campbell Street Campus
- Intake: 2018 intake to be confirmed
- Contact us on 1300 655 307 to express your interest
- Next Intake: 6 February – 29 November 2018
- Duration: 2 days per week, Tuesday & Thursday – 9am to 1pm
- Information Session: Tuesday, 23 January 2018 – 10am to 11am
- Venue: Fashion, A Block, Alanvale Campus, Alanvale Road, Newnham
- Contact us on 1300 655 307 to register your interest.
- Interviews will be held on: 29 & 30 January 2018 – between 9.30am and 4pm
It is essential that students who intend to enrol in this course attend an Information Session which is followed by a one-to-one interview. This ensures that students have sufficient information prior to making a commitment to enrolling in the course and paying fees.
Prospective students are required to prepare a folio to present at the interview. Content of this folio will be discussed at the Information session.
Prospective students are encouraged to provide evidence of design work at the interview. This evidence can include any work that you have undertaken in creative arts, for example, drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, textiles, digital or otherwise, design in your area of interest – home styling, food, landscape, fashion etc. Other examples can be discussed at the information session.
Information Sessions cover:
Information about the course (structure, content and delivery methods)
Enrolment process, policy and fees
Pathways and further training opportunities
Information about assessment (methods used, flexibility, recognition, appeals process)
TasTAFE Student Information Brochure
Language, literacy and numeracy support services available
Student Counselling and disability support
Resources required and provided
This course is offered face to face, on campus, supported by online access to lesson plans and assessment submissions. This means that delivery occurs through multiple training strategies. These include:
- Practical learning sessions to demonstrate skills.
- A series of industry excursions.
- Physical and online resources that provide students with information that are used to reinforce and support learning.
- Project based delivery to provide an applied learning experience.
- Simulated studio environment that provides opportunity to explore and apply skills.
- Individual support, mentoring and coaching is available to students.
Depending of individual student needs assessment can be a combination of:
- recognition of current skills – this can be either the provision of evidence or completion of an assessment task
- oral/written questioning that confirm understanding of underpinning knowledge and skills
- assignments that cover research and theory components of the training
- practical tasks that demonstrate competence to the standard required
- products that meet a professional standard
Throughout all assessments Work Health and Safety procedures must be followed.
For further details please refer to www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/future/recognition/
Fees and Payments
For further details please refer to www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/future/fees-and-payments/
There are no pre-requisites for this qualification.
MSF40113 Certificate IV in Interior Decoration
To be awarded MSF40113 Certificate IV in Interior Decoration competency must be successfully achieved in 9 Modules comprising of 19 units (8 core units and 11 elective units).
Units are grouped into Modules according to area of learning or focus and students build skills progressively by moving from Module 1 to 9.
- Module 1: Creative Thinking and Design process
- Module 2: Colour
- Module 3: Technical Skills
- Module 4: Sustainability
- Module 5: Organisational Skills
- Module 6: Materials
- Module 7: WHS
- Module 8: Furniture and Lighting
- Module 9: History of Design