SIT40516 Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
SIT40516 Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery is part of the Tourism, Travel and Hospitality Training Package.
This qualification reflects the role of commercial cooks who have a supervisory or team leading role in the kitchen. They operate independently or with limited guidance from others and use discretion to solve non-routine problems.
Target participants for this course include;
- International full time students.
- Upskilling mature aged cooks, who have been working in the field of cookery for an average of 5 years as flexible students and;
- Apprentices on a pathway from SIT30816 – Certificate III in Commercial Cookery to SIT40516 – Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery, with a contract of training registered with Skills Tasmania as flexible students.
Training within this course comprises of supervised instruction (on campus), work placement (off campus) and online activity based training.
Employers within this industry are looking for candidates who have a passion for cookery, are motivated and have excellent communication skills.
SIT40516 Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery provides a pathway to work in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafes and coffee shops, or to run a small business in these sectors.
This course may lead to the following career opportunities:
- Chef de partie
This course may be a pathway to further study. Related courses include:
Location, dates and times
Enrolment can occur at any time of the year for on the job based Apprentices in Hobart and Launceston.
For more information go to our Apprenticeship and Traineeship page or phone 1300 655 307
International student intake is February and July in Hobart (Drysdale South) and February in Launceston (Drysdale North), please contact GETI for more information.
Duration of the course (excluding competence in SIT30816) for Full time students is 6 months (5 days 9am – 4pm) * Students enter this program on a pathway from SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery and bring 23 credit-transferred units into the SIT40516 Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery.
As a flexible (on the job) student it can take a minimum of three (3), but could be up to five (5) years if completed part-time, to complete the training. Delivery time and unit selection is negotiated with employer and student.
Training is on the job and can be either fulltime or part-time in agreement with the workplace.
- Classroom/Kitchen/Work Placement (combination of classroom, kitchen and work placement)
- Workplace/Online/Classroom (combination of on the job, online study and some classroom-based classes)
Assessments are designed to help you demonstrate your skills and knowledge. They allow us to confirm you can perform to the standard required in the workplace, to meet all of the requirements of the course.
Examples of assessments for this course may include;
- Observations on the job and/or in a simulated assessment environment
- Portfolio of evidence
- Verbal questioning
Recognition of Prior Learning
It makes sense that you should be recognised for the things you already know how to do. TasTAFE can assess your skills and knowledge based on your previous education, work history or life experience. This may help you gain your qualification a whole lot faster.
For further details please refer to www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/future/recognition/
Fees and Payments
For fee and payment information relating to TasTAFE qualifications, please refer to www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/future/fees-and-payments/
What will I need to bring?
- 2 x Chef Pants – Traditional check
- 2 x Chef Jacket – Traditional white, double breasted
- 2 x Aprons – Blue & white striped full bib
- Hair Net (if hair reaches below the collar)
- Black Safety Shoes- fully enclosed, non-slip (No skate or sandshoes are allowed)
- Black or white skullcap
Students are required to have the following equipment as part of their training, this may vary depending on the unit:
- Set of professional knives including: cooks knife, paring knife, serrated bread knife. Domestic kitchen knives are not accepted.
- Sharpening steel and stone (optional – you must keep and maintain a sharp knife)
- Spatula, bowl scraper, vegetable peeler,
- Gas igniter or matches (No lighters are allowed in class), measuring set spoons and cups, thermometer, tongs, whisk, wooden spoon, ruler, timer, scale – max. 5kg, tasting spoon, fork and knife.
- boning knife, flexible filleting knife, palette knife crank handle + palette knife flat, piping bag, nozzles (plain and star), pastry brush.
- Other useful but not essential items are: oyster shucker, lemon squeezer, tweezers, fish de-boner, mircroplane, turning knife, zester, parisienne scoop and apple corer.
All knives and equipment must be contained in an appropriate chefs roll bag or tool box
Are there ‘other’ costs?
Total Cost: $240
There are no entry requirements for this qualification; however, students are encouraged to complete the SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery as a pathway to this qualification.
International students are selected via a third party agreement with GETI, who undertake marketing and recruitment on TasTAFE’s behalf. International students must have an IELTS score of 5.5 to study at TasTAFE.
Information can be found here under English Language Requirements
Contact us today to find out if this is the right course for you.
TasTAFE’s enrolment and orientation process provides information about our resources, services and support. Further details relating to Student Support Services are available here https://www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/current/student-support/
SIT40516 Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery.
To achieve a SIT40516 Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery, thirty-three units must be successfully completed. These include twenty-six core units and seven electives.
The seven elective units can be selected from the named electives in the qualification, or from elsewhere in the SIT Training Package, or any other current Training Package or accredited course.