ICP31415 Certificate III in Print Communications
This course is an online that covers the fundamentals of design and typography using simulated pre-press tasks to give you real opportunities to acquire accredited and industry relevant skills using the latest industry-specific graphics software, such as Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat Pro. Course notes and project briefs are available via the TasTAFE Creative Industries online portal giving you the freedom to study at a time convenient to you.
The course is coordinated and assessed by a qualified trainer with appropriate industry skills and experience to assist you for the duration of the course. Once you have enrolled with us, you will have access to all TasTAFE student resources (including the library collection and computer lab access) to help you successfully complete the course. This qualification would suit:
- Senior secondary college students,
- mature age career changers,
- apprentices/trainees, people up-skilling or multi-skilling for improved job opportunities who have met the suitability requirements for both this level of qualification and learning style.
This qualification is also offered as an Apprenticeship.
For more information and advice on all aspects of Australian Apprenticeships, contact your local Apprenticeship Network provider or call the Australian Apprenticeships referral line on 13 38 73. Apprenticeship Network providers are contracted by the Australian Government to provide free Australian Apprenticeships support services to apprentices and employers.
This course may lead to the following career opportunities:
- Web and Interactive design
- Interior Design
- Fashion Design
- Live theatre and events: as a sound technician
- Recording Studio: mixer/audio engineer
- Music retail: administrative and sales staff
- Television and radio: music promoters, technical staff, sound track producers and mixers
- Schools as a sound technician
- Organisations as an event technician (churches, corporate groups, mobile public address sound systems and hospitality organisations)
This course may be a pathway to further study. Related courses include:
- CUA40715 Certificate IV in Design
- CUA50715 Diploma of Graphic Design
- CUA31015 Certificate III in Screen and Media
- ICT40315 Certificate IV in Web-based Technologies
Location, dates and times
- Next Intake: 4 February 2019 – 20 November 2019
- Duration: 1 year program – Online contact time, Monday – Wednesday, requires 16 to 20 hours active participation per week
- Wednesday, 23 January 2019 – 10.30am
- Venue: A Block, Design, Alanvale Campus, Alanvale Road, Newnham
Interviews (either on campus OR by phone) will be held on:
- Wednesday, 23 January 2019 – 1pm to 4.30pm
You do not have to attend the Information Session but you MUST attend an Interview (either face-to-face or by phone)
Contact us on 1300 655 307 to register your interest for the Information Session and/or to book an interview time.
This course is delivered flexibly using a blend of learning modes, including:
- Skill sessions – theory/knowledge
- Compulsory Industry field trips with industry practitioners
- Short Skill based Learning Activities – Simulated practical tasks
- Skill Assessment Tasks
- Podcast Recordings about Learning Activities and Assessment Tasks
- Online Discussion Forums and Group Work Activities
Assessments are designed to help you demonstrate your skills and knowledge. They allow us to confirm you can perform to the standard required in the workplace, to meet all of the requirements of the course.
Examples of assessments for this course may include;
- Written short answer
- Verbal questioning
- Complete Workplace Documents
- Written assignments
- Blog online folio
- Observations on the job (Apprenticeships only)
- Observations in a simulated assessment environment
Recognition of Prior Learning
It makes sense that you should be recognised for the things you already know how to do. TasTAFE can assess your skills and knowledge based on your previous education, work history or life experience. This may help you gain your qualification a whole lot faster.
For further details please refer to www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/future/recognition/
Fees and Payments
For fee and payment information relating to TasTAFE qualifications, please refer to www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/future/fees-and-payments/
What will I need to bring?
Students wishing to access the resources online in the Certificate III will need access to an entry-level computer equipped with the following:
- Windows/ Macintosh
- Internet access
- Latest web browser (recommend Chrome or Firefox for Win/Mac)
- Apple QuickTime
- Flash Player
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Microsoft Windows Media Player.
Off-campus computer hardware, software and Internet access are the responsibility of the student. Examples of industry relevant software used within this course are listed below. It should be noted that you should have access to the internet as well as the software programs if you wish to undertake the course. Students are required to have access to the following software in order to undertake this course:
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Acrobat Professional
If students wish to purchase any software used within the Certificate III, academic versions are available at a greatly reduced cost. There are many academic software providers in Australia, just speak to your teacher if you require some advice.
There are no essential entry requirements for this course.
Desirable Skills and Attributes
Within ICP31415 Certificate III in Print Communications you will use a wide-range of software tools and it is recommended that, at a minimum, you have a working knowledge of the following:
- Basic computer skills – creating, saving, storing files
- Email and internet skills
- Confidence with a computer
- Completion of Year 10 or equivalent
- Access to internet
- Access to appropriate computer (refer to the What will I need to bring section)
- Access to relevant software (refer to the What will I need to bring section)
Completion of a Suitability Interview Survey and follow-up phone call will be conducted to ensure this is the right course for you.
TasTAFE’s enrolment and orientation process provides information about our resources, services and support. Further details relating to Student Support Services are available here https://www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/current/student-support/
ICP31415 Certificate III in Print Communications
To achieve a ICP31415 Certificate III in Print Communications, 21 units must be successfully completed. These include 4 core units and 17 electives. Electives are selected based on industry and/or employer consultation.