SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
SIT30816 – Certificate III Commercial Cookery is part of the Tourism, Travel and Hospitality Training Package.
This qualification reflects the role of commercial cooks who use a wide range of well-developed cookery skills and sound knowledge of kitchen operations to prepare food and menu items.
Using discretion and judgement, individuals work with some independence and limited supervision using plans, policies and procedures to guide work activities. This qualification provides the skills and knowledge for an individual to be competent as a qualified cook
This qualification provides a pathway to work as a commercial cook in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, aged care, prisons, cruise ships, ski resorts, catering businesses, clubs, pubs, cafés, and coffee shops.
This industry is for those who have a passion for cookery and looking to travel abroad or locally.
Employers are looking for commitment, diligence and a desire to cook. Participants, who are looking to gain skills in this area, must be aware of the hours of the industry for example: working evenings and weekends.
Participants are enrolled in this qualification are under contract with an employer. The course involves study on and off the job.
This course may lead to the following career opportunities:
- Commis Chef
- Demi chef de partie
- Chef de Partie
- Chef Saucier
- Chef Entremetier
- Chef Garde Manger
This course may be a pathway to further study. Related courses include:
- SIT40516 – Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
- SIT40416 – Certificate IV in Hospitality
- SIT50416 – Diploma of Hospitality Management
Enrolment can occur at any time of the year for on the job apprentices at Drysdale South, Drysdale North and Drysdale Northwest.
The duration for SIT30816 – Certificate III Commercial Cookery is 48 months for full time apprentices and 60 months for part-time apprentices.
For more information go to our Apprenticeship and Traineeship page or phone 1300 655 307
- Classroom/ Kitchen (All study is undertaken in a classroom or kitchen environment)
- Workplace (On the job assessment in conjunction with Drysdale classes)
All Drysdale SIT30816 – Certificate III Commercial Cookery units will have components of theory, practical observations/assessments and online study.
Assessments are designed to help you demonstrate your skills and knowledge. They allow us to confirm you can perform to the standard required in the workplace, to meet all of the requirements of the course.
Examples of assessments for this course may include;
- Portfolio of evidence
- Verbal questioning
- Observations on the job and/or in a simulated assessment environment
- Workplace logbook
Recognition of Prior Learning
It makes sense that you should be recognised for the things you already know how to do. TasTAFE can assess your skills and knowledge based on your previous education, work history or life experience. This may help you gain your qualification a whole lot faster.
For further details please refer to www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/future/recognition/
Fees and Payments
For fee and payment information relating to TasTAFE qualifications, please refer to www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/future/fees-and-payments/
What will I need to bring?
Students are required to have the following equipment as part of their training, this may vary depending on the unit:
- Set of professional knives including: cooks knife, paring knife, serrated bread knife (domestic kitchen knives are not accepted.
- Sharpening steel and stone (optional – you must keep and maintain a sharp knife)
- Spatula, bowl scraper and vegetable peeler
- Gas igniter or matches (no lighters are allowed in class), measuring set spoons and cups, thermometer, tongs, whisk, wooden spoon, ruler, timer, scale – max. 5kg, tasting spoon, fork and knife.
- boning knife, flexible filleting knife, palette knife crank handle + palette knife flat, piping bag, nozzles (plain and star), pastry brush.
- Other useful but not essential items are: oyster shucker, lemon squeezer, tweezers, fish de-boner, mircroplane, turning knife, zester, parisienne scoop and apple corer.
- All of the above
All knives and equipment must be contained in an appropriate chefs roll bag or tool box
Are there ‘other’ costs?
Total Cost: $427
Total Cost: $477
There are no entry requirements for this qualification.
Contact us today to find out if this is the right course for you.
TasTAFE’s enrolment and orientation process provides information about our resources, services and support. Further details relating to Student Support Services are available here https://www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/current/student-support/
SIT30816 – Certificate III Commercial Cookery
Students who do not successfully complete the qualification will be issued with a ‘Statement of Attainment’ listing all successfully completed units.
To achieve SIT30816 – Certificate III in Commercial Cookery, twenty-five units must be successfully completed. These include twenty-one core units and four electives.
The four elective units can be selected from the named electives in the qualification, or from elsewhere in the SIT Training Package, or any other current Training Package or accredited course.