AHC21416 Certificate II in Wool Handling
AHC21416 – Certificate II in Wool Handling is part of the Agriculture, Horticulture and Conservation and Land Management Training Package. It is an entry level occupational outcome in wool handling. The wool industry expects individuals with this qualification to carry out routine wool handling tasks under general supervision to an acceptable industry standard. You can achieve the AHC21416 Certificate II in Wool Handling as an apprentice/trainee which requires an employment arrangement and training contract or as a workplace based student. Most of the learning is completed ‘on the job’ in the shearing sheds and there are also a number of novice, improver and crutching workshops offered throughout the training at locations such as Fingal and Ross. Training and assessment is delivered under a partnership agreement between TasTAFE and Primary Employers Tasmania (PET) by a qualified teacher employed by PET.
This course is for people who are currently employed in a rural workplace, or people who have access to shearing sheds. You could complete the full AHC21416 – Certificate II in Wool Handling within approximately twelve to fifteen months on the job.
This course may lead to the following career opportunities:
- Wool Handler – there is a network of shearers throughout Australia and New Zealand that is used to assist with ongoing employment for shearers and wool handlers in a predominately seasonal industry.
Location, Dates and Times
- You can enrol and start at any time. We will work with you to determine a training and assessment plan that best suits your needs.
- Duration: 12 – 15 months depending on your skill level and experience.
- Delivered on the job as well as at workshops that are available in various sites such as Fingal, Ross and Cressy.
This course is delivered via the workplace and workshops.
Assessments are designed to help you demonstrate your skills and knowledge. They allow us to confirm you can perform to the standard required in the workplace, to meet all of the requirements of the course.
Examples of assessments for this course may include:
- Short written assessment – question and answer style test.
- Practical – you will be observed doing tasks.
- All students will be assessed in the workplace.
- If required, other assessment methods may be used for students (eg verbal tests instead of short written tests)
Recognition of Prior Learning
It makes sense that you should be recognised for the things you already know how to do. TasTAFE can assess your skills and knowledge based on your previous education, work history or life experience. This may help you gain your qualification a whole lot faster. For further details please refer to www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/future/recognition/
Fees and Payments
For fee and payment information relating to TasTAFE qualifications, please refer to www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/future/fees-and-payments/
What do I need to bring?
Students are required to have appropriate enclosed footwear, long trousers and no loose fitting clothing when completing practical work in the shearing sheds.
There are no essential entry requirements for this course, however students must have access to shearing sheds to complete the practical work within this qualification.
Contact us today to find out if this is the right course for you.
AHC21416 – Certificate II in Wool Handling.
To successfully achieve a AHC21416 – Certificate II in Wool Handling eight core units must be completed.