AHC33116 Certificate III in Advanced Wool Handling
AHC33116 – Certificate III in Advanced Wool Handling is part of the Agriculture, Horticulture and Conservation and Land Management Training Package. This qualification focuses on a specialist wool handling role and allows individuals who are already working in the wool handling industry to develop further skills and knowledge in order to fulfil specialist roles in the organisation. You can achieve the AHC33116 – Certificate III in Advanced Wool Handling as an apprentice/trainee which requires an employment arrangement and training contract or as a workplace based student.
The wool industry expects individuals with this qualification to perform tasks involving a broad range of skilled applications applied in a wide variety of contexts, which may involve application of some discretion and judgement in selecting equipment, services or contingency measures. Most of the learning is completed ‘on the job’ in the shearing sheds and there are also a number of improver and crutching workshops offered throughout the training at locations such as Fingal and Ross. Training and assessment is delivered under a partnership agreement between TasTAFE and Primary Employers Tasmania (PET) by a qualified teacher employed by PET.
This course is for people who are currently employed in a rural workplace, or people who have access to shearing sheds. You could complete the full Certificate III in Advanced Wool Handling within approximately 18 to 36 months on the job.
This course may lead to the following career opportunities:
- Shearing shed hands and/or wool handlers – there is a network of Shearers throughout Australia and New Zealand that is used to assist shearers and wool handlers with ongoing employment in a predominately seasonal industry.
Location, Dates and Times
- You can enrol and start at any time. We will work with you to determine a training and assessment plan that best suits your needs.
- Duration: 18 to 36 months depending on your skill level and experience.
- Location: Delivered on the job as well as at workshops that are available in various sites such as Fingal, Ross and Cressy.
This course is delivered in the workplace and via workshops.
Assessments are designed to help you demonstrate your skills and knowledge. They allow us to confirm you can perform to the standard required in the workplace, to meet all of the requirements of the course.
Examples of assessments for this course may include:
- Short written assessment – question and answer style test.
- Practical – you will be observed doing tasks.
- All students will be assessed in the workplace.
- If required, other assessment methods may be used for students (eg verbal tests instead of short written tests)
Recognition of Prior Learning
It makes sense that you should be recognised for the things you already know how to do. TasTAFE can assess your skills and knowledge based on your previous education, work history or life experience. This may help you gain your qualification a whole lot faster. For further details please refer to www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/future/recognition/
Fees and Payments?
For fee and payment information relating to TasTAFE qualifications, please refer to www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/future/fees-and-payments/
What will I need to bring?
Students are required to have appropriate enclosed footwear, long trousers and no loose fitting clothing when completing practical work in the shearing sheds.
There are no entry requirements or pre-requisites for this qualification however students must have access to shearing sheds to complete the practical work within this qualification.
Contact us today to find out if this is the right course for you.
AHC33116 – Certificate III in Advanced Wool Handling.
To successfully achieve AHC33116 – Certificate III in Advanced Wool Handling ten units must be completed including nine core units and one elective unit.